Product Review: Urban Decay's Naked palette

I originally saw this palette in Sephora several months ago, looked it over, and actually passed. Yes, passed. The colors looked a little muted to me. Also, I figured neutral palettes are a dime-a-dozen.

Well, after about 6 months and a buzz around this product so loud it's sparked eBay hikes like it's on the black market, I changed my tune. Slowly. At first, I began wondering what was so special about this palette. It's a mix of neutral shades, one dark, one blue-toned silver, some gold, and highlighting shades. That answers my own question: The composition of the palette is what's made it stand out in a market flooded with eyeshadow palettes. The assembly is smart; the packaging is eye-catching; the shadows themselves are beautiful (incandescent without being a bit sparkly) and can be mixed in a variety of ways to create both natural and dramatic looks.

I used the palette over the weekend while doing makeup on someone for pictures. What I loved was the versatility: I initially went for a natural look on her, then I built upon the colors using the darker shades for a dramatic eye. The palette fit the bill in both cases. The lighter browns like Naked and Buck could easily be duped. What I haven't yet seen from other brands are the textures and tones of Virgin, Half Baked, Sin, Sidecar, and Toasted. Virgin especially has a buttery undertone and looks gorgeous as a highlight color. That is what makes the palette so coveted, it's been described as the Tickle-Me-Elmo for women: Everyone wants one, and they're so hard to get now, there's a waiting list (and maybe some tears).

As for a downside, I've heard from one user it's easy to go through these shadows quickly. I haven't had the palette long enough to personally comment. Urban Decay recently increased the price by $2 to $48 and has replaced its dual-ended eyeliner with an eyeshadow brush.


Urban Decay Naked palette, natural look


UD Naked, dramatic look

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Money Scam Using Vogue Magazine's Name

Product Review: Kett Hydro Foundation

How to Build the Life of Your Dreams and Save it in the Process